Family Sponsorship

Sponsor your family members to become permanent residents of Canada

How does it all work?

If you are eligible, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or dependent. Your spouse or common-law partner are individuals recognized as spouse or partner as long as they have been living with that partner for more than a year. Same sex partners are also considered. The same or similar information that you provide for yourself on the form will also be needed for your spouse on their form.

Children qualify as dependants if they are under 22 years old and they do not have a spouse or common law partner. They may qualify as dependents if they are older than 22 only if they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition and they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22

Are you Eligible?

There are certain requirements you must meet to be eligible to sponsor your mate

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • You are not receiving social assistance unless it is for a disability
  • You are able to provide the basic needs of whomever you are sponsoring, including financial support, from the time they become permanent residents
  • You repay any provincial social assistance your sponsored family members receive
  • The person you sponsor is also required to make every effort to support themselves and their family

There are no income requirements unless the person you are sponsoring has a dependent child who also has a dependent child