Temporary Resident Visa

Visit Canada! Come travel, visit family and friends, and attend business meetings

How does it all work?

A Temporary Resident Visa (Also known as a Visitor Visa) is an official document placed in your passport as proof that you meet all the requirements to enter Canada. Visitors to Canada and citizens of certain countries must obtain a TRV before entering Canada. Not everyone needs a TRV to enter Canada, some may be allowed to enter through an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or if they are from a country that is exempt. A temporary resident must proove they will leave Canada at the end of their approved stay.

A TRV does not allow you to work or study in Canada, you would need to submit a separate application for a Study Permit or Work Permit

TRV Categories

  • Single Entry Visa

    A Single Entry Visa will allow you to enter Canada only once. You will need to apply again if you wish to return to Canada.

  • Multiple Entry Visa

    A Multiple Entry Visa, as the name implies, allows you to enter Canada without the need to reapply everytime. It is valid for up to 10 years or 1 month before your passport expires.

  • Transit Visa

    A Transit Visa allows those who are travelling to Canada for a maximum of 48 hours to enter.

Are You Eligible?

To meet the requirements for a TRV, you must provide certain information:

  • All required documents
  • Proof you will leave Canada as scheduled
  • Proof of your financial means to provide for yourself and your family, and to return home at the end of your approved stay
  • Proof you will not work or study unauthorized
  • Proof you do not have a criminal record
  • Proof you do not pose a safety risk to Canada
  • Proof you are in good health and not risking the health of Canadians